Date: 10th February 2006 at 10:33am
Written by:

A look back at a memorable match versus Staurday’s opponents Norwich City

A great home win from 40 years ago.

The 1966/7 season was only six weeks old when Norwich City were the visitors to Boothferry Park. The Tigers had made a successful start to their return to the second tier of English league football and were in 6th place in the old second division with a game in hand on Bolton, Ipswich, Blackburn, Crystal Palace and Birmingham City above them. The visit took place on a Tuesday night and was the start of a very good eight days for City.

Norwich had been experiencing a bad start to their season and were only two places and one point off the bottom of the table. The City team which took the field was McKechnie, Davidson, Butler D, Jarvis, Milner, Simpkin, Henderson, Wagstaff, Chilton, Houghton & Butler I. Possibly the most famous name in the Norwich line up that night was Kevin Keelan in goal but he was due to experience much back ache as he continually had to bend down to pick the ball out of his net!

24,871 spectators roared on the Tigers on a night where fog had put the fixture in doubt and threatened throughout the ninety minutes to bring the game to a premature end. Ken
Houghton, later to go on to manage the Tigers, scored the opener on 6 minutes and everything looked to be set fair for another home win. Exchanges were fairly even for the next half hour until Chris Chilton scored a beauty of a goal, his third of the season to set the South Stand choir singing their hearts out and to send the Tigers in 2-0 up at half time.

Ten minutes after half time it was the turn of the other half of City?s dynamic duo, Ken
Wagstaff (Waggy) to slam in a pin point shot that Keelan didn?t even have time to try and save before it was past him and into the net.

From a Jarvis free kick, Ian Butler shot home the fourth goal in the 78th minute and that appeared to be that until the dying seconds when a perfect header from Chris Chilton brought him his second on the game and a 5-0 victory for the Tigers.

In the next seven days there were two more home games, three days after the Norwich game, Northampton Town were trounced 6-1 and five days after that Portsmouth were beaten 2-0. City had truly arrived back from years in the wilderness of division three.


Your Comment