Date: 14th August 2011 at 9:47pm
Written by:

Hull City`s season got up and running as they took three points from Portman Road on Saturday afternoon.

Nigel Pearson sprung a surprise with his team selection, opting to field a containing 4-5-1 formation against the league leaders, albeit Ipswich Town only occupied top spot thanks to their 3-0 opening day win at Bristol City. Pearson fielded the team of Gulacsi, Rosenior, Hobbs, Chester, Dudgeon, McKenna, Evans, Cairney, Koren, Brady and Fryatt.

Adebola and Mclean returned to the bench from injury. Ipswich fielded former Tiger Damien Delaney while Keith Andrews was on the substitute`s bench.

The packed City midfield allowed the away side to dominate possession in the middle of the park, while Fryatt toiled for space up-front, supported by the advanced Koren abd Brady from both flanks. Strangely, Mckenna appeared to occupy the most advanced midfield role, with Evans and Cairney playing deeper although all three interchanged as the game went on.

City`s best first half chances came from a long range Brady effort and when, after Chester had found space in the area, his header across goal from Cairney`s corner could not be turned in by a sprawling Matty Fryatt.

At the other end, Gulacsi did well to turn away a heavily deflected Mark Kennedy shot while Martin twice struck a dipping effort onto the roof of the net. Leadbitter also saw his effort turned around the post as Ipswich had the clearer chances in the opening forty-five minutes.

The home side created their best opportunity when a dangerous corner found Damien Delaney, but his header struck the top of the bar before going over.

The second half saw City again start to demonstrate possession but with a greater attacking threat. Koren was twice denied from distance before his left wing cross evaded the attention of Fryatt in the area.

A deep free-kick was headed by Chester straight at Stockdale as City continued to push. The introduction of Andrews livened the home side, with Leadbitter and Cresswell both shooting wide.

The breakthrough came thirteen minutes from time. McKenna drove a long ball forward that found Matty Fryatt one on one with the Ipswich defender. Fryatt turned left, then right leaving Smith behind before calmly slotting the ball under the advancing Stockdale as City took a deserved lead. Fryatt had taken some criticism for his performances against Blackpool and Macclesfield Town, but his solitary strike against Ipswich helped to silence those doubters.

Martin saw a late header saved by Gulacsi but the offside flag would have ruled out any goal.

The win was City`s first of the 2011/12 season, with Fryatt`s goal the first scored by the team. The away win alleviated some of the pressure building on The Tigers, and with an away game at struggling Leeds United next; City will be looking for back to back wins on the road.


Your Comment