Date: 10th May 2006 at 9:53am
Written by:

The second and final part in our look at the 1982/83 Hull City promotion winning side.

The Team

Vital Hull now looks at the second half of that memorable team.

Dale Roberts was signed from Ipswich Town for £60,000 by the Tigers. During his spell at Portman Road, he won England youth honours.

He eventually went back to Ipswich to become assistant manager after playing 153 games for Hull City. Sadly, Roberts passes away at the age of 46 in 2003 because of cancer.

Bobby McNeil signed as an apprentice in October 1980 and played 138 games over four seasons. The Scottish full-back also played for Lincoln City, Preston North End and Carlisle United and is now a police officer in Hull.

Dennis Booth finished his playing career at Boothferry Park after successful spells at Lincoln City and Watford. Dennis Booth is an experienced coach and now number two at Carlisle United.

Brian Marwood rose through the Tigers youth ranks before making 158 appearances scoring 51 goals. Marwood went on to join Sheffield Wednesday before moving to Arsenal for £600,000. He was part of the Arsenal team that one the 1989 First Division.

Marwood won an England cap when he featured in the team that played against Saudi Arabia. He also enjoyed a successful three years as the chairman of the Professional Footballer’s Association.

Marwood became a sales representative for Nike before becoming a football commentator. The player has an autobiography called The Life of Brian.

Gareth Roberts also rose through the Hull City junior ranks. The winger played in 413 games scoring 47 goals. Roberts also won one Wales U21 cap. Unfortunately, a knee injury forced Roberts to retire and he is now a sports development officer with the East Riding of Yorkshire council.

Andy Flounders was a prolific striker who scored 54 goals in 159 league games over six years. He moved on to neighbours Scunthorpe where he played for four years. Flounders now works for Jackson’s bakery in Hull.

Steve McClaren rose through the Tigers youth ranks and broke into the City team at the age of 21. He spent six years at Hull which saw him play 178 games.

McClaren went on to play for Derby County, Lincoln City, Bristol City and Oxford before he became a coach. He became assistant manager of Manchester United in the year they won the treble. McClaren went on to become a successful manager at Middlesbrough winning the League Cup and in contention to win the UEFA cup. McClaren will leave Middlesbrough at the end of the season in order to become England manager once the World Cup has finished.

Gary Swann spent six years at the club playing 186 league games. Swann went on to have a loan spell at Preston North End before playing for Scarborough and York. Swann now runs a leisure centre in Guildford.

That concludes our look back at the 1982/83 promotion winning team. I hope you enjoyed reading this two part series and if it proves to be successful the site will look into doing more of these features.

If you have any feedback or questions, please feel free to contact me at


Your Comment